- March 30, 2022
- Property Promotion
Gannet Lodge | Llanstadwell | Milford Haven
About the property
Gannet’s Lodge was designed in the late 1960s by renowned local Pembrokeshire architect Beaumont ‘Monty’ Minter. With an unusual ‘bungalow-over-basement’ design to make best use of the stunning 180 degree views of the Milford Haven Waterway it incorporates many mid-century modern design elements such as stone cladding, split-level floors, and the use of dark wood and stone internally. The house is currently being sympathetically modernised to become a future family home by its new owner, a partner at Cardiff based Downs Merrifield Architects. Phase 1 of the works have just completed, addressing the living space, bedrooms and 1 of the bathrooms. The house is now available for a limited period over the summer season before Phase 2 commences (Winter 2022) which will tackle the 80’s kitchen and remaining bathroom and also turn the lower ground floor storage rooms into living accommodation
On arrival to this property you have ample parking with your own private drive and driveway. On entering the property you will travel into a large dining and living area. Each area has direct views onto the haven. The conservatory is attached onto the living area and is a real sun trap to catch the sunsets in the evenings.
Down the hall is a spacious, well equipped kitchen with direct views onto the haven waterway. The bedrooms are further down the hallway with ample space, storage and views of the countryside or direct views onto the waterway. The master bedroom has an en-suite, while the other three bedrooms share the modern family bathroom.
Gannet Lodge celebrates the indoor/outdoor living lifestyle and is a very private property based at the end of Llanstadwell village. With ample space and panoramic views it is the perfect staycation for family and friends.
The original insignificant village of Neyland, sometimes rendered as `Nayland`, had in 1851, fewer than 200 inhabitants. The village, on the northern bank of Milford Haven, once had a Salt Refinery and a Shipyard and in the mid nineteenth century consisted of cottages, two chapels and two public houses.
Most of the buildings were levelled by the Railway Company between 1855/1856. Once the railway opened, an entirely new Neyland grew up, near to the all important railway. The choice of Neyland as the terminus of the railway was entirely that of Isambard Kingdom Brunel). It is therefore highly appropriate that he is regarded as the founder of Neyland Town.
The opening of the railway was followed by a complete transformation of the Eastern part of Llanstadwell Parish. It was a period of tremendous growth. New houses sprang up for the railway workers, a Steamship service commenced in August 1856 to Waterford, and later to Cork in Ireland, operated by Messrs. Ford & Jackson.
A huge pontoon, designed by Brunel was launched in the spring of 1857 to facilitate the transport of passengers and livestock to and from Ireland. In 1858, a Steamship route from Neyland to Portugal and Brazil was inaugurated.
Neyland was a true railway boomtown. The population of Llanstadwell Parish increased dramatically to one thousand and forty five people in 1861 and an impressive hotel, the South Wales Hotel, opened in 1858. The Picton Castle and Lawrenny Estates, which chiefly comprised Neyland, granted numerous leases for house building. Four new chapels and shops were added and new services and conveniences appeared. Neyland acquired an importance and status, which the inhabitants of the sleepy little village could never have dreamed of.
This golden age lasted for about 50 years.
Click the book now button below to see the Available dates through our live calendar.